WARNING: These waffles aren’t vegan or organic – but I used a fraction of the sugar, no butter & whole wheat flour – so they’re healthy *enough* to treat yo’ self and not feel guilty.
Healthy *Enough* Chocolate Banana Waffles
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/3 cup sugar
½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 ½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup milk
1 ripe banana
1/3 cup of mini chocolate chips
Suggested toppings: peanut butter (I use this kind – it’s the best, trust me), whipped cream, mini chocolate chips, syrup, butter, chopped nuts, vanilla ice cream
To Make the Waffle Batter:
1. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
2. In another bowl mash banana well. Then add milk, vanilla and eggs and mix until frothy.
3. Pour mixture into dry ingredients and whisk to mix.
4. Let rest for about 15 minutes.
To Make the Waffles:
1. Preheat your waffle maker to desired settings. Stir chocolate chips into waffle batter until butter is incorporated.
2. Once the waffle maker is hot, spray with non-stick spray and pour about 1/3 cup of batter into the wells, close, and cook waffle (roughly 5-6 min).
3. Remove and place on a wire rack (do not stack!)
4. Repeat until all batter is used.
5. Serve waffles warm. Top with your toppings of choice!