The perfect burger to satisfy your “healthy” eating habits without jeopardizing flavor and satisfaction.
Buffalo Turkey Burgers
1/4 cup Frank’s Redhot (or a few shakes more depending on your heat tolerance/preference)
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp. milk (the secret ingredient to a non-dry turkey burger, thank me l8r)
1 lb ground turkey
1/3 cup panko bread crumbs
2 tbsp. bleu cheese crumbles
4 cheese slices, optional
4 whole wheat hamburger buns
*your choice of condiments/toppings (extra bleu cheese crumbles, hot sauce, lettuce, tomato, pickles, etc.)
1. In a large bowl, stir together hot sauce, garlic powder, salt, and milk
2. Add ground turkey and bread crumbs and stir well to combine
3. Gently mix in bleu cheese crumbles
4. Divide meat into fix balls and shape into patties
5. Heat a frying pan over medium-high heat and spray with cooking spray
6. Add burger patties to skillet and cook for approximately 6-7 minutes on each side (or until brown and cooked through)
7. Melt a slice of cheese over the tops of the burgers in the last couple minutes of cooking if desired.
8. Add a burger to each bun and dress buns with condiments of your choice
WARNING: These waffles aren’t vegan or organic – but I used a fraction of the sugar, no butter & whole wheat flour – so they’re healthy *enough* to treat yo’ self and not feel guilty.
Healthy *Enough* Chocolate Banana Waffles
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/3 cup sugar
½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 ½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup milk
1 ripe banana
1/3 cup of mini chocolate chips
Suggested toppings: peanut butter (I use this kind – it’s the best, trust me), whipped cream, mini chocolate chips, syrup, butter, chopped nuts, vanilla ice cream
To Make the Waffle Batter:
1. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
2. In another bowl mash banana well. Then add milk, vanilla and eggs and mix until frothy.
3. Pour mixture into dry ingredients and whisk to mix.
4. Let rest for about 15 minutes.
To Make the Waffles:
1. Preheat your waffle maker to desired settings. Stir chocolate chips into waffle batter until butter is incorporated.
2. Once the waffle maker is hot, spray with non-stick spray and pour about 1/3 cup of batter into the wells, close, and cook waffle (roughly 5-6 min).
3. Remove and place on a wire rack (do not stack!)
4. Repeat until all batter is used.
5. Serve waffles warm. Top with your toppings of choice!
2 15 oz can yellow corn (drained)
2 15 oz can black beans (drained & rinsed)
½ large onion, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 8 oz. low-fat cream cheese (softened)
1 tsp. chili powder
½ tsp. garlic powder
½ tsp. cumin
1/8 ground cayenne
1 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese, divided
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 diced tomato
Chopped fresh scallion to top
- Heat olive oil in a medium frying pan over medium heat
- Add diced onion and peppers, cook until softened – remove from heat
3. In a large mixing bowl combine onion/pepper mixture with cream cheese until coated (the warmed mixture will help with mixing cream cheese)
- Add corn, black beans, ½ of the shredded cheese and spices and mix until well-combined
- Pour mixture into a baking pan
- Top with remaining shredded cheese
- Bake in oven for 15-20 minutes (until bubbling on edges)
- Top with chopping tomatoes and scallion
- Serve warm with tortilla chips
bread roll (I used a ciabatta herb roll)
2 slices of cooked breakfast meat (I used bacon)
grape tomato (optional)salt
herbs of your choice (I used Italian seasoning)
1-2 tbsp shredded cheese of your choice (I used an Italian blend)
other filling suggestions: cilantro, parsley, thyme, shredded cheese, goat cheese, caramelized onions, spinach, ham, sausage, crumbled bacon, onions, mushrooms, spinach, feta cheese, bell pepper, etc.
1. preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. cut a square into the top of your bread – set tops aside to be cooked later
3. using a small knife cut under your square to remove and create a bowl
4. place bread bowls on a baking sheet
5. sprinkle a pinch of your herbs & garlic powder on the inside of your bread bowl
6. add a layer of shredded cheese
7. break your slices of bacon in half and layer on top of the cheese
8. crack eggs on top of bacon
9. place slices of tomato on top of eggs
10. season with salt and pepper
11. bake for 15-20 minutes depending on how cooked you like your eggs
12. spread butter on inside of bread bowl tops and bake for 5 minutes (or until toasted)
13. serve warm
This caramelized onion, goat cheese & shredded balsamic chicken flatbread (topped with fresh basil) is life changing.
2 tsp butter or olive oil (your preference for caramelizing onions – I use butter)
1 large sweet onion, peeled and thinly sliced
4 whole wheat flat breads (I use these)
1/3 cup crumbled goat cheese
¾ cup of balsamic shredded chicken (I make shredded chicken for the week in a crock pot –so I can use for multiple dinners– and season with about 1 tbsp of glaze)
olive oil for brushing
salt, pepper, garlic powder, oregano, red pepper flakes
fresh basil, sliced into ribbons (can substitute arugula)
1. Caramelize your onions (don’t know how? – here’s a quick tutorial) 2. As the onions are cooking, preheat oven to 425 degrees
3. Brush your flat breads with olive oil & lightly season with spices
4. Top seasoned flat breads with caramelized onion, shredded chicken and goat cheese
5. Bake 9-11 minutes
6. Remove & top with basil or arugula
These waffles are delicious and the perfect recipe for a traditional waffle!
3/4 cup all-purpose flour, we use Gold Medal
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp. sugar
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1 cup whole or 2% milk
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
**Butter, syrup and/or whipped cream (your topping preference)
1. Whisk the flour, cornstarch, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl
2. In another bowl whisk the milk, vegetable oil, egg and vanilla together until blended
3. Pour the liquid mixture into the flour mixture and whisk until just mixed
4. Set batter aside for 10 to 15 minutes so the baking powder has time to activate
5. Heat waffle maker
6. Pour 1/2 cup (depending on the size of your waffle maker) onto heated plate
7. Cook for 4-6 minutes (again, depending on your waffle maker)
8. Immediately place on cooling rack, try not to stack, as you cook the rest of the waffles – this will keep them crispy!
I absolutely love banana bread. That being said I’ve ate A LOT of it and am always looking for different ways to improve my own recipe.
A few changes to some of my favorite recipes has created this perfect loaf. It’s full of rich banana flavor and moist throughout. (I do not apologize for using the word *moist*).
½ cup butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 large mashed bananas
½ cup milk (can sub buttermilk)
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 box of banana pudding mix
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
½ cup chopped nuts
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Mix butter and sugar in the bowl until creamy.
3. Add eggs and mix well.
4. Add milk, vanilla and bananas to mixture.
5. Add dry ingredients to creamy mixture and blend well.
6. Grease loaf pan
7. Bake in 1 loaf pan for 60-70 minutes minutes.
**Check you loaf with a tooth pick every 25 minutes as some ovens will cook faster and you do not want to dry out your bread.**
Delicious, easy and a healthy alternative for your burger cravings!
Turkey Cheeseburger Quesadillas
*makes 6 quesadillas
1lb ground turkey
½ tbsp. ketchup
½ tbsp. mustard
½ tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
¼ tsp ground black pepper
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp garlic powder
½ cup diced onion
1 tbsp. olive oil
¼ cup diced red bell pepper
¼ cup diced green bell pepper
6 whole wheat tortilla wraps
2 cups shredded cheese (your preference)
Butter (for the pan)
1 cup shredded lettuce
½ cup diced tomato
- In medium-size bowl, combine ground turkey, ketchup, mustard, Worcestershire sauce and spices
- Begin to heat olive oil over medium-high adding well-mixed meat mixture
- As ground turkey begins to cook, use your spatula to finely ground the meat
- When meat is just about cooked, drain any liquid from the pan and return to heat
- Add in your onions and peppers
- Cook until onions/peppers start to soften
- Remove mixture from heat and set aside in a bowl
- Wipe pan clean and return to stove
- Bring pan to a notch below medium-level heat
- Add butter, enough to coat the pan
- Lay down your tortilla
- On only half of the tortilla add a layer of cheese, then a layer of the meat mixture and then top with another layer of shredded cheese
- When the tortilla begins to bubble fold empty side onto side with filling
- Use your spatula to flip the quesadilla so it’s an even golden brown on both sides
- Cut in half and top with lettuce and tomato (season toppings with salt and pepper if you’d like)
- Serve warm!
The flavor in this pulled pork is incredible. It’s easy to make and adaptable to a variety of meals!
Crock Pot Pulled Pork
*perfect for sandwiches, tacos, pizzas, etc.
3 tbsp. paprika
½ tbsp. salt
2 tsp black pepper
½ tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
½ teaspoon dried thyme
½ cup honey
¼ cup red wine vinegar
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 onion, peeled and cut in half
3 ½-5lb pork shoulder butt
1. Mix together dry ingredients
2. Pour in the honey, vinegar, and olive oil and stir to form a paste
3. Place the onion in the bottom of the slow cooker.
4. Lay/prop pork on top of onion
5. Pour the mixture over all sides of the pork pieces (a lot will fall to the bottom – it’s okay)
6. Turn crock pot on low and cook for 5 to 7 hours (varies depending on your crock pot) or until the meat is tender enough to be easily shredded with a fork
Options for adding this delicious pork to your meals: